Jennifer Smith on Back to Basics: Requirements Development
Abstract: One of the most costly aspects of any program is when the requirements “weren’t done right”, this course’s intent is to identify where the problems start to creep in and how to prevent them from occurring.
This is a one day session, where the student is introduced to requirements development and management.
Objectives of this course:
- Explain the business case for requirements development
- Identify the sources of system requirements
- Recognize and articulate the characteristics of good requirements
- Categorize requirements for the next stage of Systems Engineering
- Explain the importance of managing the resulting requirements
- Lessons Learned
This course is not intended to be “death by PowerPoint” but rather an interactive course with many hands-on group exercises. Part of this experience is to drive home the points of good systems engineering processes that go hand-in-hand with requirements development and management. Students will achieve a strong understanding of how to avoid the pitfalls of poor requirements development and the subsequent impact to the program throughout its life-cycle.
The intended audience is for:
- Entry level
- Individuals with minimal requirements development experience
- Individuals looking for a refresher
- Anyone from other engineering or programmatic disciplines who want to understand “where it all begins” are highly encouraged
About the Speaker: Jennifer Smith is a Systems Engineering Manager at Raytheon. She has been with the company for 10 years working on various programs both as an individual contributor and as a leader. These programs have taken her from one end of the country to the other and abroad, providing insight on some of the good and not so good techniques in systems engineering. She has worked in many facets of systems engineering, requirements development/management and SE processes being the primary experience in all phases of a program (proposal through sustainment). Jennifer has been recognized as an expert and is a certified instructor of Requirements Development and Management for Raytheon.
Cost: $80 (donuts, coffee, and lunch will be provided)
Location: Room 104, UCSD Extension – Sorrento Mesa Center, 6925 Lusk Blvd., San Diego, CA 92121